top of page

























One of the newest contemporary saints of the Eastern Orthodox church, Saint Savvas of Kalymnos (also known as Saint Savvas the New) is the patron saint of the Greek island of Kalymnos, where he lived during the last twenty years of his life as the priest and spiritual father of the nuns of the Convent of All Saints. He was a great ascetic, confessor, iconographer, and miracle-worker. He is one of the recently recognized saints in the Holy Orthodox Church.

He fell asleep in the Lord on April 7, 1947 (Civil Calender) and his remains were exhumed 10 years later in 1957. The feasts dates of St. Savvas the New of Kalymnos are celebrated on various dates in different traditions, April 7 (March 25 according to the Old Calendar), and the fifth Sunday of Great Lent with St. Mary of Egypt.



Saint Savvas Life


Saint Savvas was born in 1862 in Herakleitsa, Eastern Thrace the only child of Constantinos and Smaragda both devout people, who were very poor. Upon his baptism he was given the name Vasilios.

As a young boy he had a calling for the monastic life and secretely left without his parents knowing for Mount Athos at the age of twelve where he entered St. Anne's Skete. Along with the monastic duties, it is here at St. Anne's skete where he learned iconography and Byzantine music.

He later traveled to Jerusalem for a pilgrimage to the holy sites. He arrived in 1887 and entered the monastery of St. George Hozeva and lived there for seventeen years as a hermit in the deserted and rugged cliffs. After serving for a period as a novice, he was tonsured a monk and given the name Savvas.

In 1890, he joined the brotherhood of the Abbott Kallinikos (from Alatsata of Asia Minor) and in 1902 was ordained a deacon. In 1903, a year later, he was ordained to the holy priesthood by Archbishop Nikodemos from Diokesaria. He spent almost 10 years in the desert by the Jordan where he led an austere life and occupied himself with prayer and iconography. His dwelling consisted of two cells which he reached by ascending up a rope ladder. This isolation was necessary for successful inner concentration and noetic prayer and he made great spiritual progress there.



















Due to the irregularities caused by the raids of the Arabs in the Holy Land, and health reasons, St Savvas was forced to leave. He returned to the motherland - Greece where he searched for a quiet place to continue his monastic struggle. Originally he was attracted to the island of Patmos, where he lived for a while in the hermitage of Grava and later at the Monastery of St. John. 


He later traveled for three years, throughout Greece, looking for a suitable place to stay. He visited Mount Athos, then the Monastery of Phaneromenis, then Salamina and finaly the island of Hydra but in 1919, he was invited to stay at the island of Aegina, by St. Nektarios, to serve as a priest at the Convent of the Holy Trinity, and stayed for six years at this convent (from 1919 until 1925). There he taught the nuns the holy art of iconography and Byzantine music. This period was one of the most significant events in his biography due to his friendship with St. Nektarios; who was at the height of his spiritual development at this time. St Savvas had the opportunity to confess and receive counsel from the saint and the two held each other in highest esteem and regarded each other a saint. They were spiritual brothers and the best of friends.


St Savvas was the clergyman who conducted the funeral service for Saint Nektarios and also painted the first icon of the saint.

One day St. Savvas asked the abbess not to let anyone disturb him for forty days, during which he remained confined to his cell in which the nuns could hear constant conversation (between the living Saint and the reposed Saint). After 40 days, he came out of his cell holding an icon of the saint. He handed it to the abbess and asked her to place it in the church for veneration. The abbess was surprised since Nektarios had not been formerly glorified ("canonized") as a saint, and was afraid that the convent would get into trouble and even be punished by the local Bishop. Although St Savvas was always meek and humble, he insisted, and told her in a commanding manner: "You must show obedience. Take the icon and place it on the icon stand, and do not scrutinize the will of God." He knew the holiness and purity of St. Nektarios.


During the forty days he spent locked in the room where St Nektarios tomb was, the nuns could hear two voices having conversations, and believed the second voice was that of the recently departed St Nektarios, so the living and dead were having discussions.


Soon after the repose of St. Nektarios, the number of pilgrims to the convent increased rapidly due to the growing reputation of the saint as a miracle-worker. This greatly disrupted the quiet life that Saint Savvas loved and with the encouragement of the influential wealthy Kalymnian Gerasimos Zervos, he departed in 1925 and went to the island of Kalymnos.




















There, he spent the last years of his life as the priest and spiritual father at the Convent of All Saints. As a confessor, he combined leniency with severity. He was lenient on certain sins and severe to others. For him Blasphemy against God and his saints was one of the greatest sins. He remained an ardent spiritual striver until the end of his  life and practiced extreme forms of self-restraint with regard to food, drink, and sleep. St. Savvas became a shining example of virtue to all who came into contact with him. Many smelled a heavenly fragrance in his presence and some even saw him rising above the ground as he stood at prayer and during the Divine Services.



Towards the end of his life, St. Savvas remained in a state of intense prayer and holy contrition. For three days he did not receive anyone and he gave his last counsels: requested love and obedience in Christ & never betray the Orthodox Faith. When he was on the point of death taking his last breath, suddenly he received strength, brought his blessed small hands together, and clapped them repeatedly saying his last holy words: "The Lord! The Lord! The Lord," then he recited the hymn of the Annunciation which the nuns found odd as it was not the Annunciation with the new gregorian calendar, but only did the nuns realise later that at that point those following the old Julian calendar were celebrating the vesper feast for the Annunciation. Thus, he died on April 7, 1947 (which was March 25 for the Old Calendar - the eve of the feast of the Annunciation). Upon closing his eyes, one of the nuns saw the soul of the Saint ascending in a golden cloud towards heaven. After 10 years when the saint's grave was opened, a heavenly fragrance emanated from the grave which covered the whole island of Kalymnos like a giant cloud, this phenomenon was witnessed by all, including the local bishop who upsettingly and initially was refusing to grant permission to the nuns to exhume his relics. Only (when after three years of his death St Savvas miraculously appeared to the nuns ordering them to exhume him as the side of his head was getting wet being buried with his head at the base of a water deposit-sterna in Greek) and only after following years of torment and dreams did the then Bishop Isidoros believe the nuns and allowed his relics to be exhumed, finding his whole body incorrupt and intact apart from a small section on his skull where a patch of his skin deteriorated because of the water leaking on him- as the Saint had said to the nuns!) This was a testament to the sanctity of the saint. Thousands of miracles and healings have since been attributed to St. Savvas the New of Kalymnos.






Let us faithful praise Holy Savas, the glory and protector of Kalymnos,

and peer of the Holy Ascetics of old;

for he has been glorified resplendently as a servant of Christ,

with the gift of working miracles,

and he bestows upon all God's grace and mercy.




Today the island of the Kalymnians celebrates your holy memory with a rejoicing heart;

for it possesses as truly God-given wealth,

your sacred body that has been glorified by God, O Father Savas,

approaching which they receive health of both soul and body.




Rejoice, thou new star of the Church,

the offspring of Thrace and the beauty of Kalymnos,

O God-inspired Savas, fellow citizen of angels and equal of all the saints.


  • Written by Fr Savas Pizanias (B.Ed (Sec), JP) with the use and reference of St Savvas original biography- book in Greek Αγιος Σάββας ο Νέος", Papanikolaou Eds. 1993.

     Also Modern Orthodox Saints, Vol. 8. by Dr. Constantine Cavarnos, Institute for Byzantine and Modern Greek

     Studies ISBN 0914744631


 * All photos taken by Fr Savas Pizanias & Mr C. Vellis 2007, 2013, 2014.


Όσιος Σάββας Ο Νέος Ο Εν Καλύμνω (1862-1947)



Ο Όσιος Σάββας ο Νέος, κατά κόσμο Βασίλειος, γεννήθηκε το έτος 1862 μ.Χ. στην Ηρακλείτσα της περιφέρειας Αβδίμ της Ανατολικής Θράκης από πτωχούς και απλοϊκούς γονείς, τον Κωνσταντίνο και τη Σμαραγδή.

Ο Βασίλειος μεγάλωσε έχοντας βαθιά πίστη και μεγάλη ευσέβεια και προσπαθώντας να μιμηθεί την άσκηση των Αγίων της Εκκλησίας μας. Σε ηλικία δώδεκα ετών ο Βασίλειος διαπίστωνε καθημερινά ότι το επάγγελμα που ασκούσε δεν ήταν στα μέτρα του και ποθούσε μια άλλη ζωή. Ήθελε να ζήσει μόνο για τον Χριστό και να ακολουθήσει την οδό της μοναχικής πολιτείας. Έτσι έλαβε πλέον την αμετάκλητη απόφαση να φύγει, εγκαταλείποντας τα εγκόσμια. Κατευθύνεται στο Άγιον Όρος, στην Ιερά Σκήτη της Αγίας Άννης, όπου επί δώδεκα έτη ζει πλέον με προσευχή και αυστηρή άσκηση.

Έντονη ήταν και η επιθυμία του Οσίου να επισκεφθεί τους Αγίους Τόπους, την οποία πραγματοποιεί αφού πρώτα διέρχεται από την γενέτειρά του. Δέος τον καταλαμβάνει καθώς αντικρίζει τον Πανάγιο Τάφο. Ελπίζοντας πάντα στην βοήθεια του Θεού, εισέρχεται στην ιερά μονή του Αγίου Γεωργίου Χοζεβά, όπου έπειτα από τριετή ενάρετο βίο κείρεται μοναχός το 1890 μ.Χ. και αργότερα, το έτος 1894 μ.Χ., αποστέλλεται από τον ηγούμενο της μονής, Καλλίνικο, στην Σκήτη της Αγίας Άννης, κοντά στον αρχιμανδρίτη Άνθιμο, για να ασκηθεί στην αγιογραφία. Το 1902 μ.Χ. χειροτονείται διάκονος και το επόμενο έτος πρεσβύτερος. Διακονεί δε μέχρι το έτος 1906 μ.Χ. ως εφημέριος της Θεολογικής Σχολής του Τιμίου Σταυρού, όπου γνωρίζεται με τον αρχιμανδρίτη Χρυσόστομο Παπαδόπουλο, τον μετέπειτα Αρχιεπίσκοπο Αθηνών και πάσης Ελλάδος, ο οποίος έλεγε για τον Άγιο Σάββα στον Καλύμνιο φίλο του Γεράσιμο Ζερβό, πριν ακόμη ο Άγιος κοιμηθεί: «Να ξέρεις, Γεράσιμε, ότι ο πατήρ Σάββας είναι άγιος άνθρωπος».


Το έτος 1907 μ.Χ. επανέρχεται στη μονή Χοζεβά, όπου διάγει βίο ασκητικό με τέλεια υποταγή στους ασκητικούς κανόνες, άκρα ταπείνωση, χαμαικοιτία, στέρηση παντός υλικού αγαθού, ακολουθώντας το πατερικό «ο ακτήμων μοναχός, υψιπέτης αετός». Η τροφή του ήταν μια κουταλιά βρεγμένο σιτάρι και νερό από τον ποταμό.

Το έτος 1916 μ.Χ. επιστρέφει οριστικά στην Ελλάδα, μεταβαίνει στη νήσο Πάτμο, όπου διαμένει δύο χρόνια και ιστορεί δύο εικόνες στο Καθολικό της μονής. Έπειτα έρχεται στην Αθήνα, όπου πληροφορείται ότι τον αναζητεί ο Άγιος Νεκτάριος, Μητροπολίτης Πενταπόλεως. Μεταβαίνει στην Αίγινα και διακονεί τον Άγιο μέχρι την ημέρα της κοιμήσεώς του. Η συγκαταβίωση με τον Άγιο Νεκτάριο συνέβαλε στην πνευματική του πρόοδο. Γνώρισε την αυστηρή άσκηση του Αγίου Νεκταρίου, την παροιμιώδη ταπείνωσή του, την απλότητά του. Έζησε το πρώτο θαύμα του Αγίου, όταν μετά την κοίμησή του είδε τον Άγιο να κλίνει την κεφαλή του προκειμένου να του φορέσει το πετραχήλι του και να επανέρχεται κατόπιν στην θέση της. Επί τρεις συνεχείς ημέρες οι αδελφές της μονής στην Αίγινα άκουγαν συνομιλίες από τον τάφο του Αγίου, όταν δε πλησίασαν, είδαν εκεί τον Όσιο Σάββα να συνομιλεί με τον Άγιο Νεκτάριο. Ο Όσιος έμεινε έγκλειστος στο κελί του για σαράντα ημέρες. Κατά την τεσσαρακοστή ημέρα εξήλθε κρατώντας μία εικόνα του Αγίου Νεκταρίου, την οποία ενεχείρησε στην ηγουμένη με την εντολή να την τοποθετήσει στο προσκυνητάρι. Η ηγουμένη απάντησε ότι αυτό δεν ήταν δυνατό να γίνει, διότι ο Άγιος δεν είχε αναγνωρισθεί επίσημα από την Εκκλησία και μια τέτοια ενέργεια ίσως να έθετε τη μονή σε διωγμό. Τότε ο Όσιος Σάββας της είπε επιτακτικά: «Οφείλεις να κάνεις υπακοή. Να πάρεις την εικόνα, να την βάλεις στο προσκυνητάρι και τις βουλές του Θεού να μην τις περιεργάζεσαι».

Στην Αίγινα δεν μπορεί πλέον να μείνει, διότι προσέρχεται πολύς κόσμος και αυτό κουράζει τον φιλήσυχο Όσιο. Μεταβαίνει στην Αθήνα και κατόπιν στην Κάλυμνο, όπου μετά από περιπλάνηση στις μονές και τα ησυχαστήρια του νησιού, καταλήγει στη μονή των Αγίων Πάντων. Εκεί αρχίζει μία έντονη πνευματική ζωή. Αγιογραφεί, τελεί τα Θεία Μυστήρια και τις Ιερές Ακολουθίες, εξομολογεί, διδάσκει διά του στόματος και διά του παραδείγματός του και βοηθάει χήρες, ορφανά και φτωχούς. Ήταν επιεικής και εύσπλαχνος με τις αμαρτίες των άλλων, δεν ανεχόταν όμως την βλασφημία και την κατάκριση. Πολλές φορές δάκρυζε και με πόθο παρακαλούσε για την μετάνοια των πνευματικών του τέκνων, κατά δε τη Θεία Λειτουργία είχε τέλεια προσήλωση στο συντελούμενο μυστήριο. Αξιώθηκε της ευωδίας του σώματός του εν ζωή, καθώς και το πέρασμά του ήταν ευώδες, ευωδία η οποία θα εξέλθει και από το μνήμα του μετά την εκταφή του. Χρήματα δεν κρατούσε ποτέ, η ζωή του ήταν μια συνεχής κατάσταση αγίας υπακοής. Κατ' αυτόν τον τρόπο συμπλήρωσε τις ημέρες της επίγειας ζωής του, με άκρα περισυλλογή και ιερά κατάνυξη, ενώ λίγο πριν το τέλος η τελευταία φράση του ήταν «Ο Κύριος, ο Κύριος, ο Κύριος, ο Κύριος, ο Κύριος, ο Κύριος». Η ομολογία αυτή ήταν η βεβαίωση της εν Χριστώ πορείας του.


Μετά από δέκα έτη, έγινε η ανακομιδή των αγίων και χαριτόβρυτων λειψάνων του, στις 7 Απριλίου 1957 μ.Χ., προεξάρχοντος του μακαριστού Μητροπολίτου Λέρου, Καλύμνου και Αστυπάλαιας κυρού Ισιδώρου, ενώπιον πλήθους λαού. Ένα πυκνό νέφος θείας ευωδίας κάλυψε ολόκληρη την περιοχή και το νέο για το θεϊκό σημείο έκανε αμέσως το γύρο του νησιού. Το ιερό λείψανο του Οσίου μεταφέρθηκε σε λάρνακα, στο παρεκκλήσι του Αγίου Σάββα του Ηγιασμένου.


Η επίσημη Αγιοκατάταξη του Οσίου Πατρός ημών Σάββα του Νέου έγινε διά Πατριαρχικής Συνοδικής Πράξεως της 19ης Φεβρουαρίου 1992 μx.















bottom of page